Red Lentil, Tomato and Coconut Soup
We've adapted this delicious recipe made by Bon Appétit by swapping out the curry powder for our GoldDust spice blend, which we feel brings out the best in all the elements that makes up this warming, rich and perfectly spiced soup. We think the quantities used below easily serve 4, or could be used as a side to fill out many other meals.
2 tablespoons coconut oil (or EV olive oil)
1tsp of cumin seeds
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped (or paste)
1 2½-inch piece ginger, peeled, finely grated (or paste)
1 tablespoon GoldDust garam masala
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
250g red lentils
1 400g can of tomatoes, blended or as is
½ handful finely chopped coriander, plus leaves for serving
1 can of coconut milk, shaken
Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium. Cook onion and cumin seeds, stirring often, until softened and golden brown, 8–10 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add lentils and GoldDust garam masala - stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, most of your coriander, a generous pinch of salt, and 600ml of water; season with pepper.
- Add coconut milk (save a little for serving) and bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until lentils are soft, 20 minutes. Season soup with more salt and pepper if needed.
Serve with your remaining coriander and coconut milk. Add a squeeze of lime if you like!